Thursday, December 08, 2011

Off the Wagon... Or is it on the wagon...

I had some friends over for dinner, discussion, stories, laughter, and prayer on Tuesday night. I made two kinds of soup - corn chowder and vegetable-bean soup - cornbread and chocolate chip mint cookies. I've never thought of myself as a particularly good cook, but the ladies were complementary on all counts. Some asked for recipes. Some asked to take containers of soup and cookies home with them. I guess I'm not a complete failure in the kitchen after all.

I ate three cookies that night.
Two more cookies yesterday after dinner.
Three cookies today after lunch.
They are really good, if I do say so myself.
On top of that, I've had my sweet coffee concoction three times this week.
Three shots of espresso, sugar, vanilla almond milk, Starbucks peppermint syrup (purchased by the liter at Target) - perfectly blended, stirred, and sipped delightedly while eating buttered whole grain toast (using vegan "butter," naturally). It is the favorite breakfast of this champion housewife, homeschooler, teacher, writer, and adventurer. Yum, yum.

Today I feel like crap; seriously, I feel awful.
My face is dry and itchy.
Pimples are appearing on my jawline.
I feel sleepy, sluggish, and moody.

Could it be the sweet coffee and choco-chip mint cookies doing all that?
I can't help but think that the sad and joyous answer to that question is: Yes.
Sugar is messing me up. Again.
No more possible denial - sugar is my drug of choice -
and it's time to get it out of my system again.
So here I go: back on the wagon... or is it off the wagon?


PS. I have managed to lose 12 pounds since this sugar cutting, exercise increasing, water guzzling program began. So why would I want to mess with such a good thing anyway?

No comments: