Thursday, December 29, 2011

Three prayers I come back to often...

* Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.





* We Your servants give you humble thanks, Almighty God,
for all your gifts and graces to us this day;
For the splendor of the whole creation and beauty of this world;
for the wonder of life and the mystery of love;
for the blessings of family and friends,
and the loving care that surrounds us on every side.

And for this day's work, for the things that demanded our best,
for the things that delighted us,
and for the disappointments and failures that lead us to depend on you truly -
we thank you, O Lord.

Stay with us, we pray,
for evening is at hand and the day is done.
Be our light in the darkness and in your great mercy,
defend us from all perils and dangers of this night,
Hear us, O Lord.

(Taken from "Evening Prayer," compiled by Robert Benson in
Daily Prayer: A Little Book for Saying the Daily Office)




* Tomad, Señor, y recibid, toda mi libertad, mi memoria,
mi entendimiento y toda mi voluntad,
todo mi haber y mi poseer.
Vos me lo disteis; a vos, Señor, lo torno.

Todo es Vuestro.
Disponed a toda vuestra voluntad.

Dadme vuestro amor y gracia
que esta me basta.

San Ignacio de Loyola.

(I pray this prayer in Spanish, but for my non-Spanish-speaking readers,
here it is in English -
Take, Lord, and receive all my freedom, my memory,
my understanding and all my will,
all that I have and possess.
You have given all to me.
To you, I return it.

Everything is yours.
Dispose of it entirely according to your will.

Give me your love and grace -
that is sufficient for me.

St. Ignatius of Loyola)

No comments: