Friday, October 04, 2013

Day 5 - Grateful for Prayer

Today I am grateful for the wonder, the mystery, the comfort, the simplicity, the depth, the power of prayer. I'm one of those people who believes it is possible to "pray without ceasing." I'm one of those people for whom my inner thoughts are an ongoing conversation with God. Believe me, I don't say that with pride or in any way bragging, but rather I share this and, more importantly, I share all my thoughts with God in prayer because I am so desperate to be heard, understood, loved, and accompanied. I have so much to say and few who are willing to listen to what I have to say. In fact, I know that no one on earth can handle all my thoughts, wishes, desires, babblings, complaints, fear, ramblings, and murmuring. So I pour out my deepest, darkest, dirtiest, brightest, happiest, most joyful ponderings to God alone, my Sweet Momma Jesus, my ever-present Sarayu Spirit. Who is always present, attentive, listening. Walking with me. Hovering over me. Living within me. Speaking back to me in sweet silence, in the roll of thunder, in the words of my beloved ones, and The Word Itself.

Here are a few short prayers that have resonated with me lately. They all appear in In the Sanctuary of Women: A Companion for Reflection and Prayer, by Jan Richardson.

*****
May you sink

the roots of your soul

deep and deeper still

into the love of God,

who encompasses and encircles you

without beginning, without end.

*****
In the midst of your life:

the daily of it,

the ordinary of it,

the noontime and night of it,

let there be moments

that open to you

the hallowed and holy of it.

*****
May you know yourself

beloved and blessed

by the God who

seeks you,

desires you,

calls you by name.

*****
May your journey through this day

offer a thin, thin place

where heaven and earth meet

And time falls away.

*****
When the path is simple, peace.

When the way is complicated, peace.

May Christ not only show you the way

but also be the way you travel:

way of blessing, way of peace.

*****
Between the words,

beneath the words,

beyond the words,

may God meet you

in the places

where words cannot go.

*****
Amen and amen!
Beautiful prayers, right???
And the book is filled with other gems just like these.

Thank you, Jan Richardson, for the gift of these prayers.
Thanks be to Sweet Momma Jesus who inspired you to pen these petitions.

No comments: