Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A new perspective...

The first miracle attributed to Jesus was when he turned water into wine at a wedding party.

He asked some people around him to fill six large water jugs with water. Each one held between 20 and 30 gallons of water which was normally used for ceremonial washing.


Then he told the servants to give some of the water to the master of the banquet. Between filling the jugs and carrying some of the water to the master, the water turned into wine. The best wine of the night.

In that one act, Jesus transformed the vessels associated with rituals of cleansing
into vessels that contained 120+ gallons of joy-filled celebration.
Forget all the rules and regulations along with the somber, serious religious stuff.
Celebrate. Party. Dance. Rejoice and be glad.


It's not that life is gonna be easy all the time. Marriage can be one of the most difficult things in life.
But the engagement, the ceremony, the wedding feast - those are moments that are meant to be celebrated with gusto, with family, friends, and a lot of wine. Later on, when things get tough and we forget why we chose each other, we can go back and look at the videos. Flip through the photo albums. Remember those early days. And celebrate again.

Every now and then, I need to find a new perspective, a new way to look at what I see everyday, at the people I see everyday, the stories I read so often.

Every now and then, I need to pour myself a glass of something strong, take a deep gulp, and let the celebration begin again.


There is so much to weep over: the aftermath of the storm, homes burned, cars washed away, NYC hospitals being evacuated due to lack of electricity, mammograms that don't go as expected, and cracks in the facade and the foundation of otherwise strong homes.

But there is also much for which to give thanks. A roof over my head. Food in the pantry. Electricity powering our fridge and freezer. Clothing. Access to options.

I choose to focus on the latter, the blessings of life. And rejoice. So tonight I'm sipping a small glass of port, remembering the blessings of this day, and basking in my new perspective on this, my life's journey.


I am reminded of Jesus' words at the end of John chapter 16 - "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world."

Here's to life, laughter, love,
to health, friendships, joy,
to hugs, peace, and hope for tomorrow.

No comments: