Saturday, January 01, 2011

1-1-11

I couldn't resist putting all those 1's together. The first day of the first year of a new decade.
The first day of the week on the first week of the year.


Here are a few lines from a favorite poem by Ruth Forman.
The poem is called On This Day


this is a day without chairs
a day where all the rooms melt together
and there are only corners/corners and humming
wishes and slight breeze
brushing you like palms
this is a day of prayers
a day of painful breaking/a day of peace beneath
a day of arms
of hands
eyes and quiet windows


i wish you love from your mother backwards


i wish you deep tunnels without fear
i wish you children's laughter
i wish you cactus flowers
i wish you moonlight
i wish you real eyes
i wish you a hand across your back/soft like when you were a child
i wish you tears
i wish you clean
i wish you angels in conference around your bed holding you
so there is no space for me even to touch you/just watch


i wish your mother watching


i wish you abalone dreams
i wish you peace
i wish you doves in your kitchen
moonlight in your bathroom
candles when your eyes close and dawn when they open
i wish you so many arms across your shoulders
so many lips kissing your ears that you smile from the inconvenience


On this day, on this singular day
1-1-11
I wish each of us and all of us one good day - followed by another good day.
And another one after that.
And so on and so on and so on.

I wish you deep peace.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh! I LOVE this!!!

This warmed my heart and made me smile!

Thank you :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

what a lovely poem - thanks for sharing.

jena strong said...

"I wish you real eyes." That line struck me.

And tomorrow -- add another one!