Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Anybody remember that show "LA Law"?

Remember the couple that was married on the show, the short male lawyer and the tall female lawyer? Did you know that they are married in real life? His name is Michael Tucker and her name is Jill Eikenberry. In 2007, he wrote a book called, Living in a Foreign Language: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Love in Italy. It is a beautifully written memoir of their decision to buy a house in Italy and ... Well, I don't know what else happens. I only started the book an hour or so ago. Having arrived safely at page 20, I do hereby proclaim: so far, so great.

****************************

"We came back to New York after we shot the pilot to get our kids together, our things together, so that we could move out to L.A. in August to shoot the rest of the first season. We went to St. Martin in the Caribbean to celebrate and on the day we got back to New York, Jill reached up and felt a lump in her breast.

It was kanswer (spelling mine). We lay down on our bed on West Eighty-Ninth Street, pulled the shades and held hands in the dark. Jill was looking at the end of her life. I was looking at life without her. Like a drowning man, I watched all the scenes of our life together and realized how much of my identity had been tied up with this exquisite woman. Just standing next to her elevated what other people thought of me, what I thought of myself. I had cashed a lot of checks on that account. Not a pretty thought, but there it was.

Jill had her operation at Mt. Sinai in New York. Two weeks later she would have her first radiation appointment at UCLA - on the very same day L.A. Law went into production.

We packed up, calmed our terrified children and got on to the plane for L.A. This time we weren't only changing coasts, jobs, schools, lifestyles, and friends; we were also taking on a new life partner: kanswer. This partner would radically change the way we looked at ourselves, our relationship, our future together - everything. Eventually - once we accepted it - kanswer taught us how to live." (Emphasis mine.)
((pages 5-6))

****************************

I look forward to all the ways that kanswer is going to help me live a deeper, brighter, happier, healthier, more joy-filled life.

I've got a feeling that this is going to be a very good book.

No comments: