Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Do you ever feel lonely?

I do, too. 






Flipping through Lauren Winner's book, Still, I came upon this passage. 




I am sitting on a bench in a museum. The museum is a five-minute walk from my office, and I come here often, to be spelled in the middle of the day by thirty minutes of silence... In my lap, the Bible is open to the fifth chapter of Luke, one of Jesus' healings, this time of a man with leprosy (I confess that most of Jesus' healings blur together in my mind, like colors running in the wash). The story ends with Luke's telling us that Jesus often withdrew to lonely places to pray. 


A little like escaping to the quiet of a museum, I think. 
What can it mean for a place to be lonely?


A place, lonely like Jesus? Lonely like me?


Maybe I can make my loneliness into an invitation - to Jesus -
that he might withdraw into me and pray. 

No comments: