Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Movie that Changed My Life

Yes, I finally saw a film that changed my life.

It is entitled, "Amazing Grace," and it is the story of William Wilburforce, the English Stateman, who fought for over 15 years in the British Parliament to bring about the end of slavery in the British empire. The film depicts the emotional and political battles, the tears shed, the lives lost, the despair, the anguish, and the physical suffering he endured as, year after year, his bills were defeated. Then, finally, success. Freedom. Redemption.

How did the film change my life? His tiresome work and the work of his co-laborers, the work of abolitionists in this country and all the world around, changed the course of history for people of African descent over 100 years ago. Those changes made it possible for my parents to meet in New York after growing up in segregated North and South Carolina. Those changes made it possible for students of African descent to study at places like Williams College in Massachusetts where I met the man, the white man, who was to become my husband. And those changes made it possible for me to live with my husband and our two children here in Charlotte, North Carolina, a city and a state that used to be known for their opposition to the abolition of slavery.

So, yes, Mr. Wilburforce and the story of the way in which God's Amazing Grace touched his heart and motivated him to face what appeared to be an insurmountable obstacle and overcome it changed my life. I left the theater in tears as the strains of Amazing Grace echoed through the corridor. Awed. Grateful.

And wondering to myself: What will my passion be?
What will I spend the rest of my life fighting for?
I'm still wondering.

Take the children. Take the parents. Take friends and neighbors.
So see "Amazing Grace."
Be inspired to stand strong for justice and mercy.
Be inspired to stand strong against powerful people and corrupt government.
Be inspired to ask God what He wants you to spend your energy and passion on.

His Grace Still Amazes Me.

1 comment:

Lori Duncan said...

HEY GAIL, WE SAW THE MOVIE ON THE SAME DAY I BELIEVE. IT WAS LIFE CHANGING FOR ME TOO. HECK I JUST WANTED TO HIT SOMEONE AT POINTS. TALK TO YOU LATER LORI