Friday, December 31, 2004

If you will allow me to plagiarize...

Some final thoughts for the close of one year and the opening of another. None of these words are mine, but I thought I’d share them anyway.

“I thank my God every time I remember you.”

“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.”

“Come, you who are blessed by My Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me. I was sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you came to visit me… I tell you the truth: whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

“But I tell you who hear me, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

“There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken.”

“I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

“Seek peace and pursue it.”

“Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.”

“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”

“Who will be left to celebrate a victory made of blood and fire?”

“What the world needs, what we all need is love.”

“The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.”

To all who have shared my life’s journey with me, I send a wish for love, joy, mercy, grace, laughter, traveling mercies, Christmas cookies, sparking apple cider, cheesy nachos, bowls of Italian wedding soup, silver bracelets, lemongrass incense, handwritten letters, cozy slippers, scented candles, warm fires, close friends, the smiling face of the full moon, jazz, soft and strong hands to hold, someone to wipe your tears and calm your fears, and peace.

Blessed New Year, GailNHB

No comments: