Friday, May 18, 2012

Freedom Friday

This morning, I'm focusing on freedom.
There is great freedom to be enjoyed in this life I live.
This morning, I'm celebrating freedom.



The freedom to speak my mind.
The freedom to shut my mouth.
The freedom to admit when I'm wrong.

The freedom to vacuum.
The freedom not to dust.

The freedom to drink coffee again.
The freedom to accompany it with an egg sandwich and a banana.

The freedom to set rules and goals for myself.
The freedom to break those rules and abandon those goals.
The freedom to not feel guilty about any of it.

The freedom to love.
The freedom to forgive.
The freedom to ask for forgiveness.
The freedom to ask for, receive, and enjoy a long, warm hug.

The freedom to give my handsome son a pedicure.
The freedom to deny that he is spoiled to the core.


The freedom to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.
The freedom to ask God many questions and express my frustrations about the things of life, love, suffering, freedom and faith.

The freedom to do ten minutes of intense, sweaty, heart-racing exercise.
The freedom to take a long, slow walk instead. Or in addition.

The freedom to write, take photos, and share them here, on Facebook, and in emails.
The freedom to keep my impressions and observations to myself.

The freedom to pray openly and in public.
The freedom to honor the right of all people to do the same. Or not.


The freedom to dream big dreams about my future.
The freedom to dream small dreams about my future.
The freedom to enjoy the dream and the gift that is my present.

The freedom to reach out to friends and loved ones as often as I like.
The freedom to allow for silence and gaps in communication without panic or fear of abandonment.

The freedom to look the Apple genius in his beautiful eyes and take his advice on replacing the computer battery.
The freedom to decline his invitation to replace both the computer and the carrying case.


The freedom to go to the beach for three days with my daughter.
The freedom to leave my son at home with my husband and allow him to do his homeschooling on his own.
The freedom to not have to explain our system of homeschooling to anyone - except to say that we love each other and our way of learning together.

The freedom to declare myself free from (too much) worry about what others think about the way I live my life.
The freedom to encourage others to give up their worries about the opinions of others.
The freedom to keep my opinions about others to myself.


Which freedoms are you celebrating today?

No comments: