Saturday, September 22, 2012

Untitled...

* The screen saver on my computer consists of a slide show of photos I have taken and downloaded to my computer over the years. Sometimes I sit and quietly watch that slide show. With each photo, I smile or groan, giggle or shudder when I recall where I was when the photo was taken. Almost without exception, I remember immediately where I was, what I was thinking, and what the circumstances were when the photo was taken.

Without exception, I am awed by the fact that I have been enormously blessed in my life, in my travels, in my home, with family, with friends, with people who are not yet friends, and with great food. Even in the worst of circumstances, hospital visits and funerals (yes, I have been known to snap a few photos in somber clandestinely), I am grateful that I was never the patient in the hospital or the one whose funeral service I attended. My time will come, for sure, but not yet. Not yet.

* Yesterday, I found out that our therapist passed away recently. We've known Jim for more than five years; he is the only therapist my husband and I have ever worked with, individually and as a couple. His wisdom, his humor, and his Irish accent will stay with us for years to come. May he rest in peace, and may his family and friends find peace in remembering him. Also I am grateful to the one who informed me of his passing and sent along her condolences. Peace be with you and those you love, Mary Anna. Thanks again for writing to me.

* I stepped into my garage last night to go out and walk the dog - and what should I be greeted by but a snake??? In my garage!!! Needless to say, I screamed at the top of my lungs and slammed the door shut. Kristiana came running. Maya started barking. Steve and Daniel did nothing - because they are away at a tennis tournament. 

My enormously brave daughter, to whom I daily bow in honor and respect for her courage in so many areas of her life, took the dog for her walk and calmly reentered the house through the garage. I slammed the door behind her (there was a lot of door slamming last night) and put a towel at the bottom of the door to prevent any overnight entrances by that slippery intruder.

I wish that snake peace and rest and traveling mercies. Now, please leave the premises. Please!!!

* Today is my son's 16th birthday. To say that I love that boy is a grievous understatement, but there aren't any stronger words for what I feel for him, at least not in English. Sixteen years ago today, he emerged from my swollen underbelly into a tub of warm water  - it was an unplanned water birth, but he had places to go and people to see so he didn't wait until I got out of the tub. From that first underwater sighting, I have been madly in love with this water baby of mine.

He is off representing the Great State of North Carolina at a regional tennis tournament in another southern state at the moment, too far away for me to hug and kiss him today. But I've got some serious loving waiting for him upon his return tomorrow.

* Today is the last day of summer, the first day of autumn in this part of the world. Time to begin the journey inward, dropping those things that we no longer need to hold onto, to take up habits that will keep us warm and hold us close as we enter the cooler months of the year, the cooler seasons of our lives. Time for reflection on and gratitude for the heat of summer, the bounty of summer fruits and vegetables, and the ease of light and breezy clothing. It's time for hot tea, sweaters, long socks, and scarves. Time for soups, stews, blankets, and more snuggling.

* Today provides us with more opportunities to be aware, grateful, kind, loving, caring, and forgiving - not only to others, but also to ourselves, to myself.

May this day provide you with
untitled, uncategorized, unexpected,
and undeniable blessings and surprises,
reasons for laughter and gratitude,
and deep, deep joy for your journey.


* As that modern-day guru of fitness, Billy Blanks, says, "Every day above ground is a blessed day." So celebrate; you are above ground; you are blessed indeed!

No comments: