Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Needless Fear

The other day, Kristiana went out for a walk with Maya. They came across a turtle crossing the cul-de-sac at the end of our street.





 Kristiana called me from her cell phone and I ran out to see it.


 
Everybody in our house loves turtles. Well, everybody except for Maya.


Maya was going nuts. Truly Nuts! If you don't believe me, watch this video.


What could she possibly have been thinking as she barked so frantically?
As she foamed at the mouth?
As she ran in circles around that turtle?
What could she possibly have been afraid of?
That turtle was incapable of doing her any harm, but she never got close enough to find that out for herself. Maya barked loudly and energetically, but she kept her distance from the enemy.


As I watched her panic and roar, I began to think of myself and my own needless fears.
What things and people and situations do I run circles around, barking and worrying and panicking about?
What makes me foam at the mouth?
What needless fears do I face in my own life?

Perhaps the old anecdote is true: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
Even more powerful and more true is this: "Fear not for I am with you; I have called you by name and you are mine. Do not be afraid, for I am with you."


Maya made us laugh the other day.
And she made me think.
That dog is still one of my most effective teachers.

No comments: