Friday, April 28, 2006

Nothing like an uplifting movie...

to lift one's spirits before the weekend - or anytime for that matter.

The children and I have just returned from seeing "Akeelah and the Bee." It is a gratifying, entertaining, funny, delightful movie. It tells the story of what is possible when someone dares to rise above what is expected of her. It tells the story of someone who discovers who really loves her and wants the best for her. It's the story of new friends, old friends, making mistakes, correcting them, and making the most of every opportunity. The kids liked it very much. I liked it very much.

When I was in the fifth grade, I won my elementary school spelling bee and went on to the district bee where I lost in the early rounds. In the sixth grade, I was eliminated from my school bee with the word "committee." I left out one of the t's. I still shudder every time I have to spell that word.

A couple of years ago, the children and I went to the regional spelling bee which was held here in Charlotte. The winner that day was a homeschooler! We were all proud of him - and we didn't even know him. I told that story to a friend of mine; he wryly commented that we are the only people who would go to a spelling bee for fun. He posited that everyone else in the audience was a blood relative of someone on the stage. I shrugged and agreed with him on both counts. We had fun anyway.

Go see "Akeelah and the Bee." Take someone who needs a kick in the pants, someone who is afraid to pursue an impossible dream, and when you emerge from the darkened theater, ask them what they are going to do about that dream. Perhaps you need to duck into the restroom upon exiting the theater, stand in front of the mirror, and ask yourself that very question. "What are you gonna do now?"

I've gotta go. There's a mirror in my bedroom that has some explaining to do.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: