Thursday, February 24, 2005

Tonight's homework assignment

I'm taking a writing class at a local university. For tonight's class, I have to write a dialogue that relates a time in my life when I knew that love was in bloom. I thought back on friendships that have blossomed into more than "just friendships" over the years. I thought about boyfriends I've had in my reckless youth. I thought about those early conversations with Steve, who is my first and current husband... But none of those torrid, on-again-off-again love affairs have equaled the one that I finally decided to chronicle. Read about it below and enjoy.
**************************************
“I know that it’s weird for me to say this to you every time we get together, but I can’t help it: It’s great to see you again. I am amazed by your uncanny ability to show up exactly where and when I need you. ”

“If you are gonna repeat yourself, Gail, then so am I. You always know where to find me. You know that you can call me anytime. And for the record, you are the only person that I respond to quite like this.”

“A lot of people say they’re available anytime, but you are the only one who has ever really meant it.” Deep breath. “The reason I wanted to see you tonight is simple: I missed you. It feels kinda lame saying it out loud. I have a confession to make: I was hoping that by the time we were alone together, I’d have come up with something specific to say - but no such luck. Here you’ve come all this way for nothing. I’m so sorry; I hope you don’t feel like I’ve wasted your time.”

“You’ve never wasted my time, Gail. If I weren’t getting something out of this, believe me, I wouldn’t keep showing up. Stop beating yourself up about it. I didn’t have any other plans tonight anyway. Besides I’m here now, so why don’t we make the most of our time together? What do you think about driving over to Starbucks, getting a cup of coffee, and watching the Friday night teenage crowd make eyes at each other? I know how much you enjoy 'people watching.'”

“Starbucks sounds great.”

“What’s that look for?”

“You’ve got me stumped. I can’t put my finger on it yet, but there’s something about you that I find completely irresistible. As cliched as it sounds, from the moment we met, I knew I’d finally met my soul-mate. Most people don’t even believe such a thing exists, but I knew right from the first start that you were mine.”

“It’s been said that the best traits we see in our friends are the same ones that we ourselves have in abundance. Perhaps the best of what you see when you look at me is nothing more than the best that lies within you being mirrored back at you.” Pause. “Did I just say that out loud? That sounded pretty pretentious, didn’t it? I feel the same way. Sometimes as I listen to you talk, I feel like I’m listening to my own thoughts. But you know what they say? Great minds think alike.”

“Okay, okay, enough of the flattery. I think we’ve inflated each other’s egos enough for one night. Actually, there is something serious I need to say to you.”

“You can say whatever you want to me; I hope you know that by now.”

“Okay, here goes. I love you. There, I said it. It’s not subtle, I know, but I’m not known for my subtlety. I never have been. And I hate those awkward moments when you want to say something but you don’t because you’re so worried about what the other person is gonna think. Stop me anytime here and tell me I’m not crazy. Oh man, you’re not stopping me. Oh crap. Now what do I do now? I can’t seem to shut my mouth. Why are you laughing?“

“Lighten up, Gail. I was only trying to make you sweat a little. I’ve loved you since the first time you opened up to me and put your heart on the lines. You’ve been nothing but truthful, transparent, and genuine with me, even in the awkward moments. You’ve talked to me and cried openly with me during times of fear, anger, sorrow and loneliness. But...”

“I’m so sorry for being such a grouch when we are together. It’s just that you are so easy to relate to that I forget sometimes that I can’t just dump the crap on you and keep the good times to my self.”

“If you hadn’t so rudely interrupted me, you would have heard the rest of that thought. What I was going to add was that I’m glad you don’t call on me only when you are down in the dumps. As much as I want you to know you can tell me that tough stuff, it is a lot more fun being with you when you talk about watching movies and making smoothies with your kids, your late night conversations with Steve about your crazy mothers and uninvolved, irresponsible siblings. But the best times for me by far are when you talk about all your secret thoughts and dreams and hopes for the future.”

“Once again, you prove yourself to be the only friend I’ve ever had who remembers every detail of every story I’ve ever told you. You listen without complaining or judging me. You put up with every one of my rants and ravings without ever running away or getting embarrassed or somehow making me feel inadequate. You have never been too busy to meet up with me and listen to whatever I dish out. I’m not sure how to thank you.” Sniffles. “Look at me, getting all choked up. I’m such an idiot.”

“You are not an idiot. You are who you are. Never apologize for that. But really, Gail, what kind of journal would I be if you couldn’t tell me the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This piece was brilliant! I so enjoy reading your writing. -Moneesha