Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thankful Thursday

The other day, I asked you to check out what was happening here on Glennon's site.
Thousands of people looked and responded.
Here's what happened.
I am enormously thankful for how so many people reached out to change the lives of five families.
However, I am certain that I am not nearly as grateful as they are.

Today I am also thankful for the dear friend whose candor on the phone last night sent me to my journal and to my computer for hours of writing and pouring out my soul, my dreams, my questions, my disappointments, my hopes, and my anger too. Her honesty forced me to face myself and be honest with myself in a way and about a topic that I haven't wanted to deal with for years. I'm not sure what's going to come from all this soul-deep blood-letting, but I am enormously grateful that she told me the truth as she saw it and challenged me to examine the truth as I know it. Thank you, Thelma. (Or are you Louise and I'm Thelma?)

I am thankful for this amazing video about a truth that we all need to be told: you are not forgotten.
I am thrilled that I was led to it today - it relates directly to the conversation I had last night.

I am thankful that the two tornado warnings that have been issued in the past 24 hours have passed without terrible incidents in our area.
I am thankful for the rain that has fallen today.

I am thankful that more attention is being paid to the tragic kidnapping of those two hundred school girls in Nigeria. I pray that very soon they will return home to their families. I cannot imagine the sorrow and pain their families are suffering every day.


With their pain on my mind, I am even more thankful than usual for the time I've been spending with my daughter during the past nine days. 
Supermarket shopping. Cooking.
Going for walks. Doing yoga.
Volunteering at Loaves and Fishes.
Going to church. Going to the movies. 
May I never take her presence for granted.

May I never take friendship, love, or joy for granted.
May I never take faith, hope, or peace for granted.

May my gratitude deepen and widen with each passing day, week, month, and year.
Life is short and unpredictable. Beautiful and awful. Tearful and joyful. 
There is so much to celebrate and enjoy and be grateful for.

No comments: