I am thankful for the beauty of these spring days.
I am thankful for the irises that are in bloom. We transplanted the ones in our front yard from our yard in Connecticut when we moved down here back in 2002. They still bloom beautifully every spring.
I am thankful that my son and I saw a HUGE turtle yesterday. I wish we had stopped to take photos, because that thing had to be 15 inches across. Some other people had stopped to take pictures, but foolishly we did not. I hope to see it again sometime soon. Next time, I will definitely stop.
I am thankful that my son and I have such good times together as we homeschool. We are reading through a children's version of The Odyssey and having great discussions about the chapters I read aloud to him every day.
I am thankful that he contentedly goes with me to Loaves and Fishes twice a month to serve people in need. He actually looks forward to it almost as much as I do.
I am thankful that he still likes hanging out with me.
I am thankful that he often agrees to making his awesome nachos for me.
I am thankful that my daughter is just a few days away from finishing her junior year in college and her first semester living in a dorm. She is still the bravest person I know.
I am thankful that she is looking forward to being at home this summer, resting and recovering from this challenging adventure called college life.
I am thankful (in advance) for the meals she will cook and the times she will empty the dishwasher and walk the dog and go with me to the supermarket.
I am grateful for the simple and indulgent pleasure of getting a mini-facial at the Origins store at the mall, picking up a couple of products I needed, and getting four travel sized products for future adventures. Technically, I was only supposed to get three freebies, but she said that I was such a pleasant customer that she decided to give me an extra one. Thank you, my dear.
I am grateful for the 90 minutes of browsing and people watching while waiting for my son, who was hanging out with a friend.
I am also grateful for -
- ice water in tall glasses
- the super sweet organic strawberries on my salad tonight (Thanks to Carol for the idea)
- the company of my cute little doggie, especially when the guys are away on tennis weekends
- the ability to resist the urge to buy things I didn't need from the mall
- the times when I treat myself to fun little goodies
- my new slippers. My old ones were so old and dirty and threadbare that my husband had started to look for some on my behalf. Just by way of perspective - the same man who didn't even blink when I told him I was going to have a bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction drew the line at me continuing to wear those slippers. I found my new ones at Marshall's for a fantastic price. He's a very happy man. (Apparently, we are both rather easy to please.)
I will end this list where I began it - I am profoundly grateful to be alive and well,
strong and confused,
imperfect and at peace,
hopeful and doubtful,
an absolute mess and absolutely certain that all shall be well.
Thanks be to God.