Friday, August 16, 2013

I don't often ask you to go spend money...

But tonight I will make an exception.

Please spend the $10 (or whatever it costs in your hometown) to see the movie, "The Butler." I saw it today with my mother and my daughter. It is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It is the story of an African-American man who serves as a butler in the White House under seven presidents.

I am grateful for his service, for his life, and for his story.
His service, his life, his story make me appreciate my own life and story more.

Don't wait until it hits Netflix or Blockbuster. This is a movie that should be seen in the company of other people. People who know you and people who don't know you. People who look like you and people who don't look like you. People who live like you do, and people who don't live like you.

This is a movie that may change your perspective on 20th century history in this country and deepen your understanding of just how amazing it is that there is currently an African-American man in the White House - and he is not a butler. No matter what your political persuasion, this movie will cause you to rethink the Presidency, the White House, and the people who live and work there.

It's a good movie. Please go see it. Please.
So good. So very good.

No comments: