Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Today I am grateful for -

* the salad from Panera that was brought over by a dear friend - who also brought the soup that I will have for dinner

* strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow

* a lengthy and humorous telephone conversation with my oldest brother

* travel magazines, sharp scissors, glue tape, and empty journal pages

* daily reminders that I am loved, prayed for, thought about

* jumping up and down on my brand new rebounder (mini-trampoline)


* cozy couches where I can set up all my journaling stuff and let the creative juices flow

* the men and women who maintain the natural gas pipelines that keep my house warm during the winter

* the folks who make sure that the sewer system and electrical systems function relatively smoothly

* organic, raw coconut oil - the best moisturizer I've ever used

* Smooth Move Peppermint tea


* the engineers and developers who build our roads and bridges

* Engineers Without Borders who take their skills into towns and villages, like Bayonnais, Haiti, where their work saves lives

* my body's determination to fight and destroy the kanswer cells that have invaded it

* being reminded of the importance of taking good care of myself

* planning a solo museum visit and lunch at one of my favorite restaurants


* the beauty of the earth, the glory of the sky, the expanse of the sea

* cameras and phones to capture moments of beauty and light

* the love behind the emoticons and swirly lines

* trusting that at some point I will be able lay my questions down and live out the answers

* the power of prayer to calm my anxious heart

* being reminded of the promises and assurances in the Bible

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, 
but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed...
Therefore, we do not lose heart. 
Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us 
an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:7-9, 16-18.

No comments: