Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Best Story of All

People talk about vocations.
People talk about calling.
People talk about doing what they were put on the planet to do.


My vocation is motherhood.
My calling is motherhood.
I was put on the planet to raise the two amazing children I was blessed to give birth to.

The eldest of my two offspring is celebrating her 19th birthday today.
She arrived 15 days late... which was right on time for her.
She weighed 9 pounds and 1 ounce.
She was 22 inches long.
She was big and juicy, beautiful and strong.
She emerged from the womb ready to see the world.


This girl has been unstoppable since Day One.
She made up for her "late" arrival by crawling early, walking early, and talking early.
She hasn't sat still or stopped talking for very long since those early days -
and I mean that in a good way.
She has been to Puerto Rico, Nicaragua, England, Spain, Italy, at least 15 of these United States,
and she wants to see much more of the world.
She consented to being homeschooled by her mother all the way thru - from kindergarten through 12th grade. She never minded my frivolity, lack of organization, and easy distractability.


She developed and has maintained interests in horses, turtles, dogs, jewelry making, painting, journaling, reading, photography, babysitting, cooking, art history, writing, and laughing at my antics. She is one of the most creative people I know.


She has faced serious challenges during her teen years -
but I will let her tell her own story.
Or ask her permission to tell more of it here on the blog.
I will say this: when the shit hit the fan in her life, she stood unflinching and strong.
She didn't run and hide.
She didn't deny what was happening.
She still doesn't.
She is the bravest person I have ever known.


And today, I get to celebrate 19 years of raising her,
and being raised by her,
teaching her,
and being taught by her.
Today, it is my great honor and privilege to call her my friend.


Happy birthday, Kristiana.
Thank you for being the one who showed me
what my true vocation,
my calling is - being your mother.

From the first time I felt you kick me from inside,
I knew.
I knew you would be one of my best teachers,
one of my closest followers,
and I hoped that you would love me as much as I loved you.
Thanks be to God, that wish has come true.
At least, that's the vibe I get from you most days.


These days, I find myself behind you, following you, wondering where you will end up,
and cheering you along the whole way.
You rock, girl. You ROCK!!!


Even as I type this, your song is billowing around me.

I have a hope
I have a future
I have a destiny that is yet awaiting me.
My life's not over
A new beginning's just begun
I have a hope
I have this hope. 

God has a plan
it's not to harm me
but it's to prosper me
and to hear me when I call.
he intercedes for me
working all things for my good.
though trials may come,
I have this hope.

I will yet praise him, my great Redeemer,
I will yet stand up and give him glory with my life
He takes my darkness and he turns it into light
I will yet praise him,
my Lord, my God. 

My God is for me,
he's not against me.
so tell me whom then, tell me whom then shall I fear?
He has prepared for me
great works he'll help me to complete.
I have a hope.
I have this hope.

Goodness and mercy, they're gonna follow me
and I'll forever dwell in the house of my great king.
No eye has ever seen all he's preparing there for me -
Though trials may come, I have this hope. 


I will yet praise him, my great Redeemer,
I will yet stand up and give him glory with my life
He takes my darkness and he turns it into light
I will yet praise him,
my Lord, my God. 


**********

Your life, your courage, your beauty, your strength,
who you are, sweet and wonder-filled Kristiana,
gives me hope.

No one on earth loves you more than I do.



PS. I write this joy-filled post with a heavy heart. I am overcome with sadness and grief for all the suffering that is going on in the Northeastern states as a result of Superstorm Sandy. May power be restored soon. May homes be rebuilt. May losses be remediated. May sadness be alleviated.

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy.

Keep watch, dear Lord, with all who work or watch or weep this night.
Give your angels charge over those who sleep.
Tend the sick, we pray, and give rest to the weary.
Soothe the suffering and bless the dying.
Pity the afficted and shield the joyous -
and all for your love's sake.
Amen. 
(Taken from Night Prayer, by Robert Benson.)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

This made me teary!

SO beautiful and wonderful!

I love you both VERY MUCH!!!

xoxoxoxoxo

(We'll have to have a belated KNB celebration when I finally come to visit!)

Unknown said...

May the Lord continuing blesshing your beautifl daughter, i know i have been blessed with the testmony of your family.

Give her a big hug from the Arias
.