Tuesday, November 02, 2010

"My body made your body..."

Whenever I want to tickle or pinch or otherwise invade the personal space of my kids, I say that.
"My body made your body so I can do whatever I want with your body."
No, don't get up and go call the police or report me to children's services; it's just a joke.
We all laugh - and then I tickle or nuzzle or cuddle with them some more.


Last week when we were in Hilton Head, I spent a lot of time watching my children.
I watched them rollicking and rolling and falling down in the sea.



I watched them as they played happily with the animals at the petting zoo.



I stared at their hands.

I stared at their feet.

 I walked with them and talked with them and ate with them and biked with them.


I spent a lot of time watching them talk and read and swim and sleep.
Watching them while they rode their rented bikes all over the resort.

Watching them while one played tennis and the other watched tennis.

I spent a lot of that time marveling that my body made their bodies. Even though I was there for every moment of my body making their bodies, it still amazes me, silences me, rocks me to my core. Every single day. The wonder of the human body. Mine and theirs. The wonder of life itself.


Have I mentioned lately that I love my children? I really do.
I'm gonna go cuddle with my daughter right now - and tickle her too.
She hates that!

No comments: