Thursday, September 03, 2009

Dreaming a new dream...


My Mondo Beyondo dreams continue to flow:
Places to live.
The house I will occupy in the dreamy place.
Jobs and other opportunities to pursue.
New skills and hobbies.
People I want to meet.
Books to write.
Interviews to grant.
It's all quite dreamy and wondrous.

But what if there's a dream that I am overlooking? What if all my dreams and wishes are preventing me from living the dream that is already happening? The dream that my life already is?

After all, I get to stay at home with my children and homeschool them.
I get to travel alone and with family and friends.
I read and journal and talk to friends and family members.



I go to the supermarket and am able to freely choose from thousands of delicious items to nourish and delight my family.
Same thing at the mall. Or Good Will. I get to choose which place I go.
Tea or coffee in the morning.
Cell phone, laptop, closet full of clothes, dresser too.
Paint brushes, rubber stamps, glue sticks, paper.
Washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, television sets.



It sometimes seems so ordinary, boring even. Routine. Predictable.
With drawers and shelves and bags overflowing, I often want to go out and buy new stuff simply for the sake of having something new in my greedy paws.
I complain that I can't think of something new to make for dinner
or discover some new-fangled program to teach old truths with new pizazz.
Something in my life malfunctions and I launch into listless laments.

It is easy to say that my life is better and easier than most of the people on the planet. It is also true. After all, we have electricity, running water, two working vehicles, a brick house with a strong roof, a steady and abundant income (at least for now!), health care coverage - access to absolutely everything we need and more.

Some folks might say, "Well, that's obvious. Our lives are easy compared to a lot of people. But you should dream bigger than the ordinary and obvious stuff."

There is a part of me that agrees with that way of thinking. I can and should and will surely come up with a list of bigger and brighter and broader hopes and wishes for my life. I do want to live in Spain with my family for at least a year. I want to become fluent in Italian and live in Italy for a year. I want to learn to cook better and actually learn to like cooking. I want to have more opportunities to teach - and get paid for it. I want to write a book and have it widely read and be interviewed by Oprah. Absolutely.


But there is another part of me that acknowledges that this is it.
This life is the dream that I am meant to live out right now.
I am loved by many. I love many others.
I am well-fed and healthy.
I am more comfortable in my own skin these days than at any other time in my life.
I laugh. I listen. I ask questions. I answer questions.
I reach out to loved ones. I hold myself close.

I am dreaming a new dream.
And living it out on a daily basis.



PS. Additional evidence of the dream that is my life: all the photos shown in this blog post were taken in the company of dear friends who have welcomed me into their lives and their gorgeous homes. If all of this is a dream, please don't wake me up. Please!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. Lovely post. Here's to wishing and dreaming and reminding ourselves that we ARE living are dreams each and every day!

I have a sign nearby that says "Don't grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be." by Clementine Paddleford.

For me the key is *slowing*down*, being in the present, going within ~ *then* looking outside to gratefully acknowledge all the dreams that are right in front of me. Then the next part is to take some kind of action on becoming the person I want to become, manifesting what will be next in my world, fulfilling the dreams that are always present. It's a delicate balance indeed, walking that tightrope between "enough" and "what's next?".

We *must* focus on the journey every step of the way ~ or we will wake up at our 'destination' having missed the journey (aka: OUR LIFE) itself.

Love to you, dear Gail, and your beautiful dreams ~ those already fulfilled and those yet to be realized.

(BTW, I LOVE the photo of you looking out the window!)

Independent Chick said...

Great post. Your first photograph caught my eye...peace... I'm glad I stopped by. : )

I am Jeff said...

life is good! :)

I am Jeff said...

is it ok following your blog ma'am? i find it pretty interesting. i hope its okay putting your blog in my link:). i've started reading your posts from the start i'm planning to continue reading it once having time.

:)

i just hope it's okay. Peace!

jena strong said...

It IS a dream. And you are already awake!