Monday, March 19, 2007

This is my 300th Blog: Words about Silence.

Three hundred messages sent out into the Virtual Universe from my corner of it. Still there are so many stories to tell, countless questions to ask, and wonders to describe.

Earlier today my daughter and I watched "The Lake House" together. One of those movies about impossible love. Love that transcends time and place. Over the miles and the years, they fall in love. Through letters. The power of words.

Last Thursday, my daughter and I drove up to Asheville and walked through the gardens of the Biltmore Estate. In silence. We looked up at the trees and down at the bare earth. We marveled at the daffodils already in bloom and the tulips about to bloom. We sat on a bench and listened to the geese squawk and the trickling water as it flowed past and the leaves as they fell. That was the second time last week that Kristiana and I went on a silent walk, intentionally listening to and enjoying the beauty of creation. The power of silence.

Without words.
Senza parole.

How ironic that I should write about being without words on my blog. This place where my words are spilled out into the hearts, minds, and lives of others. Where my words are read but my voice is not heard. Where I try, feebly and inadequately, to tell the story of my life, to share my doubts and fears, my triumphs and joys, without saying anything at all. A place where silence is both broken and preserved.

I am learning to walk in silence.
To live in wonder.
To realize that I am not alone.
To open my heart to love.
To close my mind to hate and fear.
To believe that my words, my blog, and my life are being read, heard, understood.

Three hundred blogs.
Three hundred times I have asked:
Is anyone out there?
Can you hear me now?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am "out here" and very much appreciate your words. Many of your experiences and sentiments echo my own life right now. Thank you for speaking your truth and putting words to your life - and sharing it with us! It helps to have a fellow traveler on the journey.

Anonymous said...

"Amen" to what Lisa has said. I have read so many of your blogs enjoying the ordinary and not so ordinary days of a very unique individual on this planet! Keep on writing.

Anonymous said...

To Lisa and Anonymous, thanks so much for your comments. I am glad to know that my meager words touch your lives. No, we are not alone. Yes, I will keep on writing.

Blessings on you both, Gail

Lori Duncan said...

Hey, Sometimes I wonder if anyone is out there. Or if anyone feels the same way I do and then I just dont know. I can relate to you on so many levels, Gail Thanks for all your writing,Thanks for challenging me in my life. I look forward to your writing when I get a chance to go online.