Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Do you wanna dance?

I checked in with a favorite blog yesterday and was linked to another blog/website put up by Matt. Matt is a regular guy who had a regular job. One day Matt decided he didn't want to lead a regular life anymore. So he left his job, packed his bags, and set out to see the world. To dance his way around the world; he decided to live out that old saying: "Dance like no one's watching." A simple concept. A life-affirming concept. A very funny concept. Please check out Matt's website and watch him dance. Then go out and dance. Dance with a loved one, a stranger, or alone. Just dance. http://wherethehellismatt.com

Or if you don't want to dance, then sashay. Sing. Hum. Smile and wave at strangers. Take pictures. Notice nature. Lie down in the sand. Walk in the rain. Gaze up at the stars. Watch the fireworks. Eat ice cream. Drink in the noise, the laughter, the shrieks of children, and the wondrous energy of dogs.

I went out for a long walk this morning. Not many people out. A few cars. A few walkers. A few intrepid bikers... isn't it funny how many people don skin-tight elastic clothes and take to the streets on thousand dollar bikes as soon as the Tour de France begins? Anyway, there I was. Pumping arms. Pumping thighs. Sucking wind. Talking to myself. Talking to The Great Creator. Trees and flowers in bloom. Grass growing. Sprinkler systems watering driveways, sidewalks, and the occasional patch of lawn. (Lord, please forgive us for our insanely excessive use of water.) I smiled and greeted everyone I met. I was stopped by neighbors twice; one was on her way to the gym while the others were on their way up to their lake property for the day. Life is good.

At one point, I passed two gentlemen who were walking in the other direction. One of them was wearing a tee shirt that said, "When did my WILD OATS turn into SHREDDED WHEAT?" I laughed and told him I liked it. Then I told myself to never let my wild oats turn into shredded wheat. Not as long as I can still dance.

Lee Ann Womack said/sang it so well in her ballad,
"I Hope You Dance."

"I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance.

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances, but they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth making

Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance

I hope you still feel small when you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance."

2 comments:

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Great post ... wonderful thoughts, so true!
'I Hope You Dance' is one of my favorite songs, along with 'Life's a Dance' by John M. Montgomery. The chorus says ...

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know
Life's a dance you learn as you go

So, even if we don't know how to dance (or anything else we want to do) we need to give it a try.

Checked out Matt's site - what a great/fun thing he did.

Giovanna said...

reading that song again made me cry...