Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Today's schedule...

Wake up and stumble into my study room. Read a book about finding heaven on earth; being surprised in every chapter that in fact, it is possible to experience heaven right here on earth. The book of Ecclesiastes is packed with wisdom I never knew of.

Write. Pray. Prepare for tonight's class at church.

Exercise. Sweat. Stretch. Pull. Push. Lift. Sigh. Groan. Cheer when it's over.

Have breakfast: bran flakes with a banana. Yum! I could eat cereal for every meal, but variety is the spice of life.

Oversee and do chores with the kids. Vacuum, dust, sweep, brush Maya's fur, clean out the minivan. Sweep the garage and arrange all the shoes in order. Fold and put laundry away. Wash the dishes. Organize the homeschooling materials and art supplies.

Set the kids up with a mosaic project they have begged to do. Enjoy the silence as they work. Hope they don't get too high on the glue fumes.

Iron clothes for a noon-time Holy Week Service at church.
On Monday, the Pastor spoke about Peter, the disciple who followed Christ at what she termed "a comfortable distance." When confronted about his association with Christ, Peter vehemently denied even knowing Him. The challenge was for all of us: how often do we follow Christ at a distance, not taking a stand for what we believe in for one reason or another? How often do I deny my relationship with Christ because of what others have done in His name? Or because of what others who claim to follow Christ have not done? The Good News is that He loves me despite all my lies, secrets, silence, and many other methods of denying Him, and wants nothing for me or any of us except reconciliation with Himself.

Yesterday, the Pastor spoke about forgiveness. While hanging on the cross, Christ said, "Forgive them for they do not know what they are doing." On the cross, in agony, being mocked, spit at, and shamed, He forgave all who did Him wrong. Why can't I forgive people for rubbing me the wrong way? Why can't I forgive people for cutting me off in traffic or in conversation? Today, the Pastor is supposed to explain what Christ meant when He told the thief that he would join Him in paradise.

Following the service, I'll come back home for tea and a brief rest time.
Then return to the church for Christopher's funeral at 2:30 this afternoon.

I'll come back home and ponder the depth of Laurie's pain.
There was a private memorial service for him early Sunday afternoon because Laurie's brother-in-law who'd come over from England on Thursday had to return home Sunday evening. I waited outside the chapel until the service was concluded, and then I went in just to give her a hug. Her fragile frame was racked with sobs. Inexpressible sorrow. Undiminished pain. The Bible says that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. I know that Laurie loves God; I guess the most important thing for us to do now is wait to see how this works together for good, and we are determined to wait together.

Sit on the deck for more tea and journaling.
Burn a stick of incense. Relax.

Email and call a few friends; make sure they know how much they mean to me. It's been a busy week of birthdays (with Jill's coming up tomorrow. Happy Birthday, sis!), and I have enjoyed the celebration of life. May each day be cause for thankfulness and celebration. We never know which will be our last.

Laugh and play with the kids a little more.
Figure out what we'll eat for dinner.

Give thanks for all of it, even the painful, doubtful, tearful stuff.
Learn my lessons well.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
Now may the Lord of Peace Himself give you peace always in every way. (I Thessalonians 5:23)

No comments: