Thursday, January 20, 2005

My favorite sleeping aid...

Today I was reminded of something I had recently lost sight of, something that used to be one of the highlights of my day but had fallen into the ever-widening crack between the most immediate demands of life and the most implicit delights of life. Today I checked in with an internet friend and was reminded that an attitude of gratitude can change everything. It's as simple as setting aside a few minutes every evening to look back on the day and list a few things that brought me a smile, a giggle, a sense of hope for the future – those few moments of reflection do far more to ease me into quiet and restful slumber than a hot cup of chamomile tea and a chocolate chip cookie.

Here are a few highlights from tonight's gratitude journal entry: Today I received an email that granted a request I hadn’t even had the heart to make. Today I read about Booker T. Washington with my children, and we all marveled at his tenacity and courage. Today my daughter helped me make dinner: sauteed shrimp and scallops on a bed of brown rice and spinach salad; even the pickiest eater in the family had seconds. Today I drank my favorite loose leaf tea in my favorite green mug; both the tea and the mug were given to me as gifts from a dear friend for no particular reason other than that she saw them and thought of me. My thoughts savored our friendship with each sip of the tea. Tonight I went to the first session of a writing class that is made up of ten remarkably funny, thoughtful, talented writers, an outrageously enthusiastic and encouraging teacher – and me. Very soon I will crawl into my phenomenally comfortable bed, sleep deeply, dream vividly, and awaken to yet another day when I get to choose joy, choose peace, and choose between four varieties of organic, high fiber, high protein breakfast cereal that Steve and I picked out last night at the brand new health food store just a few blocks from our home.

Thank you, Leonie (, for reminding me that gratitude trumps grousing, groaning, and grumbling my way through the day every time.

Who needs Tylenol PM when I can fall asleep counting my many blessings?

No comments: